Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Happy Jerusalem Day!!

So I know that i didn't write about anything yesterday, and that's because I really didn't do much. It was a really intense school day with nothing really getting done but going to class and doing homework. The most exciting thing that happened was that they showed the 10 Commandments for us in the Forum, which by the way is a REALLY long movie!!! Dang, I was about to shoot myself, and I came 2 hours into it!!! Anyway, that was about it for yesterday, little bits of fun, but mostly just class.

Today is Jerusalem day, or the day that the Jews celebrate Jerusalem becoming united under Israeli control again (after the '67 war). It is a newer holiday, but dang! If you think that the US is patriotic, you should come to this party! I can't say too much of what went on, or really post pics of it either just because of the subject matter, but I can say that the Western Wall was packed with people. The group of us that went to see the festivities got caught in this little mob of Jewish boys going through the Old City. There were so many people crammed into such small spaces there. I think that I can say that I understand the animosity that the Jews and the Palestinieans have against each other a little better. Staying neutral, on both sides there were stupid people trying to aggrivate the other side. The Arabs were kept away from the Jewish procession by the police and the Army (who have been out in force today by the way) but they were both making rude jestures at one another and aggrivating the other side. It was a little crazy. By the time that we got to the wall, things were nuts there. Tons of people were there, with so many Israeli flags and a concert and everything. We had to leave before too long because it was getting dark, but we had a hoot.

Getting home was another matter. We had to get a taxi (because it was after dark and we can't walk home) and who do we get? A guy that agrees on our price, but only speaks Moroccan French and doesn't know where the JC is, even though he has been here for 30 years! We had his drop us of at Hebrew U, but we had a heck of a time getting out of there back to the center. There was this dumb guard who told us wrong directions, and so we had to backtrack alot, and yeah, we were getting just a little tired. We finally did find our way, but man were we tired. So here I am, at midnight, trying to get caught up on this blog before I leave in the morning for Egypt. That's right people, I get to go to Egypt!!! I am so stoked, and so are many of the people here, including the teachers. My OT professor, Bro. Mencill was even getting a little sqeaky as he started to list off all of the things that we get to see while we are there! It's going to be nuts! But we have two days of bus rides ( BBQ tomorrow night in S. Israel!!) and then we get to cross over into Egypt! We do have to be really carful of the food over there. I got some snacks today that i'm going to take with just in case. My goal is not to get the runs at all while i'm there, and I think that this is a doable goal!

Anyway, it is a little sad because I don't know if i'm going to have internet while i'm there, I don't really think so, so I'm going to have to sign off for a while. That also sucks because when I get back, you all will just have a general summary of the good stuff since I would have to write a book to give you a day by day blow, but yeah. Anyway, I hope that you all can live without me for a while. There might be internet, i'm staying at the Shereton in Luxor for heaven's sake, so maybe i'll be able to get a little something up, we'll see.

Oh, and two quick things. One: today I totally had to buy a hat for the sun in Egypt, and so this guy wanted to well me this nicer straw hat for 150 shekles (~$40) Anyway, he tells me it's a good price (yea right) and long story short, I end up paying 15 shekles in the end! I am the master. On a similar note, I have genie pants now, and they are awsome!
Two: We had a camel spider in our room the other day. They are gross. It crawled under my bed, and it was huge, and I would not have slept there if it had not crawled out and we killed it. Still freaked me out, those things are big and fast and nastly. Follow the link and see for yourself. Anyway, yeah, enough about tha

Love you all and wish me luck! Hope that you have a great life at home in the States!

No comments:

Post a Comment