Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Long Day with Great Expectations


I made it to Jerusalem!!! After quite the grueling flight over here, I was actually part of the first group to get to the Jerusalem Center this afternoon. It was a little crazy, thinking that we had left at 7pm from JFK, and then ended up in Jerusalem 11 hours later at 230pm... time does not do good things to your body at times. The flight itself was not that bad, it was actaully interesting when we got to JFK because there were quite a few Orthodox Jews on board as well, and from time to time they would gather in the back of the plane and say thier prayers together. It was funny because no matter what the stewardesses said about the 'stay bucked' lights, they would just get thier robes and hats and go to the back and do thier prayer thing! The captin himself came on the PA and thold them himself that they needed to sit down (not by name of course) and they even ignored him! So while mostly uneventful, the flight was nevertheless amusing.

The Jerusalem Center itself is amazing! The archetecture that is here along with the view from my back porch help to make this a beautiful place. The teachers, thier families, and the service couples that are here also make this a wonderful place. We got a quick tour around the center today, got to check out things like the library, the laundry, and different classrooms, and of course what building in Jerusalem would be complete unless it had a bomb shelter! And there are actually 2 here, you get to choose between playing ping-pong or foozball depending on what shelter you are in! But the spirit of the building just hits you as you walk in. Truly this is a place that God put here to help His children appritiate the things that he has done for them, and place to make testimonies grow.

The food here was really good for dinner, i'll talk more about that later as I get a few more meals, but for the most part, all of the new spices are doing wonders for me. The best sweet potatoes ever here... yeah, so anyway... We got to have a little orienation thing tonight as well, and at the end my OT teacher showed us a slideshow from last semesters group that went. It is simply amazing all of the things that are going to be crammed into the next 3 1/2 months. All of the things to see and do just seemed amazing to me, and at the same time, a great feeling of expectation came upon me. I know that I am here to accomplish something, because I was told to come here, and I just really hope that I am able to take full advantage of the opportunities that the Lord has made available for me here. Tomorrow we begin with our first field trip, a tour of the Old City, which is the view that I get to wake up to every morning by the way!

This is a picture from my bedroom by the way... yeah, I know, way cool!

1 comment:

  1. We are so glad to hear that you got there just fine and that the flight was interesting. We are all just a LITTLE jealous right now. Have a great time on your first field trip.

    ReplyDelete